2019 Medina Holiday Ornament, featuring the historic Medina UCC, Congregational Church in honor of their Bicentennial Celebration.
Ornament is packaged in an attractive dark green gift box, and includes a history of the church and congregation.
Ornaments are also available in Medina at the Medina County Convention and Visitors Bureau (32 Public Square), Miss MOlly's Tea Room & Gift Shop (140 W. Washington Street), and Root Candles (623 W. Liberty Street). Cash or check only for in-store purchase.
FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH OF MEDINA 1819-2019
The history of the United Church of Christ, Congregational, is rooted in the history of Medina. Congregational worship services began in 1817 in a log cabin shared with the Episcopalians shortly after the first settlers arrived in Medina Township. The congregation was established in 1819 and worshiped in the cabin, which was located about 3 miles northeast of the present city. Seven individuals met in Isaac Barnes’ home to form a Congregational Church and entered into covenant. Reverend William Hanford of the Connecticut Missionary Society provided guidance and charged the new congregation to “walk worthy of their high vocation.” Prominent charter members also included Nira B. Northrup, Harrison Gray (H.G.) Blake, and Amos Ives (A.I.) Root. The congregation dedicated a brick church at the northeast corner of Medina’s square in April 1837. When the village of Medina was laid out in its present location a few years later, the congregation purchased its current site on the corner of Liberty and Broadway at the northeast corner of the square. A brick church was built, and First Congregational Church began its historic witness to the people of Medina that continues to this day.
The present brick Sanctuary was completed in 1882 and extensively remodeled in 1972, when the Chapel was added. The Christian Education wing was completed in the 1950s. Work is done frequently to maintain the aesthetic of the church facilities, including the beautiful stained glass windows and large pipe organ. The popular Hobby Horse Preschool is owned and operated as a ministry of the church.
In 1957 the Congregational-Christian Churches merged with the Evangelical and Reformed Churches to form the United Church of Christ. The Medina congregation soon changed its name from First Congregational to United Church of Christ, Congregational, to recognize the new union.