2023 Medina Ornament
Medina Interurban Railway Station – This depot, originally located on Rte 42 near Stonegate Dr., served as a Cleveland Southwestern & Columbus Railway station, part of the Ohio Interurban Electric Railway system. The Medina interurban began as a route from Cleveland to Berea in 1895, reached Medina in 1897, and extended 225 miles to Columbus by 1907. The line carried freight but served mostly passengers. Customers rode in large enclosed cars that were quite comfortable. The Interurban ceased operation in 1931. The building was stored at the city’s municipal garage for many years. In 1991, the Medina Community Design Committee restored the station and worked with the city to install it at its present home at Feckley parking lot on South Court St. Today it serves as a reminder of an important transportation system that was a vital link and a boost to commerce throughout Northeast Ohio.